Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself..." - FDR



Today's post over at Vintage Thirty
(http://vintagethirty.blogspot.com/2008/09/someone-stop-her-from-making-horrible.html) got me thinking about the fears I have. Some of which may be rather irrational.
Here are some of mine:

Vomiting, aka Emetephobia:
Yes, I have a fear of vomiting. Now, I realize most people don't enjoy vomiting, but I actually fear it. So much so, that if I hear that someone within a 2-mile radius has even had as much as an upset stomach, my heart skips a few beats. If someone has actually thrown up in the last 24 hours and is standing nearby?!! For God sakes, bust out the Lysol! I go into a full blown panic attack, washing my hands even more than usual, making sure not to touch my face, touching absolutely no doorknobs, spraying Lysol into the air and onto every surface, and breathing very shallow breaths (as to not breathe in germs, you see). And praying. A lot. I am not even kidding. What's just as bad is hearing someone vomiting. My kids? I can handle that. It's not pleasant, but I go into full blown Mommy Mode and just take care of things. But if anyone else does? Oh, God help me. I remember my ex-husband used to get upset stomachs really easily--especially if we fought. (And, considering that he is now my ex, suffice it to say that wasn't all that uncommon.) The morning after a big fight, he'd often start puking. I can still remember sitting as far away from the bathroom as possible, blaring the t.v., holding my fingers in my ears, trembling, praying for it to stop, and attempting to comfort myself by rocking back and forth. Yes, it bothers me that much. Remind me never to pursue a career in nursing.

Bees/Wasps/Flying Insects that Sting, aka Apiphobia:
I have never been stung by anything in my life. Yet, I have this enormous fear of being stung. Nothing is worse than being out in public -- ALONE -- and encountering a bee. I look like a complete lunatic, shooing the Death Insect away, screaming, half-crying, running around in circles... yes, it's quite a sight to be seen. One time, I was cleaning tumbleweeds out of my mother's back lot, and a wasp flew past me. I still remember running, in slow motion, and ending up in the air parallel with the ground. Between me and the ground, however, was a giant tumbleweed.... that I landed directly in. My poor mother spent two hours with a tweezer plucking thorns out of my skin. Because we all know that those 52,346 thorns are nowhere near as painful as one wasp sting. Riiight. I have also been known to push my children out of the way as I run for cover, when I see a bee in the general vicinity. Don't call CPS just yet, though; I at least scream while doing this, to alert them to the impending doom.


The Dark, aka Achluophobia:
All I'm going to say is it's not unusual, if left alone at night, for me to sprint through the house, flipping on one light after the next.


Lightning, aka Astrapophobia:
You'd think I'd appreciate the lightning (it does get rid of the darkness!), but, um... no, not so much. It scares the bejeezus out of me. I'm fine if I'm safe inside, but God forbid it's anywhere in the sky when I'm outdoors. I am 100% positive I'm going to be struck down by it. Hmm, now that I think about it... that might say a lot about what I feel I have coming to me... don't you think?

Don't waste life in doubts and fears; spend yourself on the work before you, well assured that the right performance of this hour's duties will be the best preparation for the hours and ages that will follow it. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson


What are your fears?



3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

All of your fears seem fairly normal I suppose. The bees though, a bit dramatic. :) My oldest has this one and blames it on me for some reason.
My fear is of abduction. Being yanked out of my car, or as I am walking in a parking lot. I had someone walk up behind me one time as I was alone. (man) He was clearly trying to scare me, and it worked.
Fear is normal. As long as we can still get through life...
Oh, the ex with the throwing up? that is weird. Sounds like a wuss. Sorry.
Like the blog...I will keep reading. :)
Suz

Unknown said...

This was a really great post! I can tell you thought it out well. I will certainly persuade you not to enter the nursing field if you are ever so inclined : )! Kaishon is DEATHLY afraid of lightning and thunder too. He doesn't want to leave the house if the sky even looks gray... I scream about mice and spiders so I guess I am afraid of them. Ever since my accident in June, I have been afraid of getting into the left lane when I am driving. Hope your day is free of thunder/vomit/stinging bugs : )!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom, it's Chad. Just wanted to let you know your doing a great job.