Monday, December 29, 2008

Comfort food for a cold night




I made this tonight for dinner and it was really good--and easy. Only thing I might do differently is put in a full pound of kielbasa (rather than the 1/2 lb. it calls for), along with more salt. I'm also tempted to double the recipe next time to have ample leftovers.

Sausage Potato Soup (Taste of Home Cookbook)

TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa, diced
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 celery rib, sliced
  • 1/4 cup sliced carrot
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

Directions:

In a large saucepan, brown sausage; drain. Set sausage aside. In the same pan, combine the potatoes, corn, broth, celery, carrot and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the milk, cheese, parsley and sausage. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 6 servings.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I love potato soup of any kind. I am definitely going to try this one very soon!

Happy New Year.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Mmmm. We love turkey kielbasa and anything potato.

Anonymous said...

I bet frozen peas would be good in that soup too!

Frasypoo said...

That looks yummy!
Great for a cold evening

Busy Bee Suz said...

That looks so awesome. I will try it when we get back home!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

This sounds REALLY good!!!!!!

Lakeland Jo said...

Have never heard of Kielbasa- soup looks grand though. It is so cold here (for us at least( -5 degrees) we could do with some

Unknown said...

This does sound yummy! Yummy Yummy Yummy! I hope you aren't working today!

Baby Favorite said...

I'm not! I have 12 days off. :)

I go back January 5th!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, friends!