Sunday, December 21, 2008

To the corner, Baby Favorite!


I haven't been a very good blogger lately.

I really haven't been pouting since the whole weather incident. I promise. (Not much, at least.) I'm just tired, and not feeling great, and a little down in the dumps. You know, the usual holiday thing that a lot of folks experience.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas, but I miss my parents, sister, and relatives. But, moreso, I just get sad about my brothers--the one in the neuro care home (Paul) and the other who's mentally ill (Mark). We've been helping Mark move into a new apartment this week, and to see the way he's been living is just depressing. I won't disgust you with the details, but being around him gets me down. And not being around him but thinking about him also gets me down. So then I'm not really in the mood to blog.

But, on a cheerier note, I'm just about ready for Christmas!! Yay! Everything's wrapped, except a few stray gifts I'm waiting on from eBay, American Girl, and Amazon. The waiting is killing me! I know they'll get here in time, though. I'm just anxious to see them and put them under the tree.

And otherwise? My house is clean, everything's wrapped, decorated, baked... I'm all ready to go. I think I'm going to make my mom's Hungarian Chicken Paprikash for Christmas Eve dinner. It was our tradition to have that every year growing up, but I haven't had it in over 7 years since she passed away. I think it's time.

Rebeckah, I have to thank you so much for even praying for snow for us! You are so adorable and thoughtful. No, it never did snow, but it stayed in the high 30's/low 40's all week and was drizzly and cloudy so at least it felt Christmasy. That's better than sunny and in the 60's, right?! I'll take what I can get.

Can't believe there are only 4 more days until Christmas! Are YOU ready?!

5 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so sorry to hear about your other brother who is mentally ill.
I can see why the holidays can be depressing for you. It would be so nice if everyone was healthy, happy and alive. You just need to enjoy it as much as you can for your kids.....now is the time that we need to make the good memories for them.
no, my house is not clean.
I decided recently that you (ok, maybe just ME) can't have both a clean house and Christmas. Either or. Not both. :)

Unknown said...

I was so excited to see you had a new post up when I was just over at Suz's blog! I came dashing over!

I am sad that you are sad. I can't imagine how sad you are about your brothers. I know every time I leave Quince I feel like just crying my eyes out.

I am SO glad your house is clean. My house is so insanely messy. You would think it might be a little picked up since I just had 48 hours of no work, right?

I feel glum right now too. I am going to go eat ANOTHER cold beer battered fish stick. That will be GREAT for me. Hope your week is super.

And, no, I am absolutely NOT ready for Christmas.

Unknown said...

It's so easy to feel down this time of year. I can only imagine how sad you must feel over your brother's situation. You and your family are in my prayers. And hey, your house is clean!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard when we can't be with the ones we love on Christmas. I lost my grandmother last year on New Year's Eve, and my family has been struggling to get into the holiday spirit this year. My dad is having an especially hard time.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to factor your brothers into the equation. I can only hope and pray that they are as content as they can be.....by THEIR standards, not ours.

I have finally allowed myself to be bitten by the Christmas bug (today!), and my family seems pleased:) As you well know, if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It is hard when our family isn't as we would like it to be. Good for you for being all ready for Christmas.

I make my mom's traditional dinner every year--I feel connected to her when I cook from her recipes.