These are questions I asked my daughter Erin, who's 9. Some of her answers surprised me -- both in good ways and not-so-good. It was definitely a neat insight to have. Tomorrow, I will post my son's answers. I'm sure you'll barely sleep tonight, in eager anticipation. You know it's true.
What is something mom always says to you? I love you. I also say, "Oh, good LORD! Your room is a pig sty!" on a fairly regular basis... but I'm glad you've learned to focus on the positives, sweetheart.
2. What makes mom happy? There's a lot of stuff, 'cause you're, like, that way. You always want to be happy. Ummm... when I behave? "That is correct," says Mommy Dearest.
3. What makes mom sad? When I get bad grades. True. Also? When you fight sleep every, stinkin' night of the week. Actually, it makes me more neurotic than sad.
4. How does your mom make you laugh? Doing dog talk to Jasmine. It's right up there with the painted toenails. Need I say more?
5. What was your mom like as a child? I don't know! A lovely person? Damn right I was lovely! You have to question these things, dear? And hey, by the way--have I talked to you about wire hangers lately???
6. How old is your mom? 41 Yes, and you tell everyone, don't you? E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E. In case anyone might actually think, for a moment, that I'm still in my 30's.
7. How tall is your mom? 5'4" or something? 5'6" -- close enough.
8. What is her favorite thing to watch on TV? The View. Desperate Housewives, actually.
9. What does your mom do when you're not around? Clean. Just call me Bree Van De Kamp.
10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for? Singing. Sweet, but I doubt Simon Cowell will be calling me to audition for American Idol anytime soon.
11. What is your mom really good at? Loving people. I am. When I'm not too busy cleaning or singing.
12. What is your mom not very good at? Nothing. I've trained you well. GOOD GIRL, Erin!
13. What does your mom do for her job? A lot. Ha. You're telling ME!
14. What is your mom's favorite food? Rocky Road ice cream. I'm not even a big ice cream fan in general--let alone Rocky Road! But I'll forgive you, due to your answer to Number 12. You're welcome.
15. What makes you proud of your mom? She's perfecto. You're such a smart girl.
16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be? Cinderella. You must mean where I'm down on my hands and my knees scrubbing -- THAT Cinderella.
17. What do you and your mom do together? Shop. I can't exactly argue with that, though I DO do other things, too, every once in awhile. Once we've hit all the sales, that is.
18. How are you and your mom the same? We love to shop! Have I told you lately that I love you? Can I put that into song for you?
19. How are you and your mom different? I'm not nice to every person I see. By this, you're implying that I am. I'm guessing that one particular mother at your school's Movie Night might disagree. You remember, honey -- the one whose daughter ran around like a wild animal for two hours straight, keeping anyone there from enjoying even two minutes of the movie? The one who, after having a little run-in outside with me, flippantly said, "I GUESS MOVIE NIGHT'S NOT FOR YOU!" Her??? Yeah, I'm guessing NICE wouldn't be the word she'd use to describe me. But thank you, sweetie pie, for giving me more credit than I deserve. I'm glad you think I'm nice nearly all of the time.
20. How do you know your mom loves you? At nighttime, she's always patient with me. This will haunt me every night now as I'm FORCED to be patient with you because of this answer. You know what you're doing, don't you?
21. What does your mom like most about your dad? He's a cuddle bear. Yes, he is, although he's also a thoughtful & generous bear, and -- more importantly -- an excellent cook bear!
22. Where is your mom's favorite place to go? Disneyland! I have to visit my castle from time to time. Who says you can't go home?
23. If you would change one thing about your mom what would it be? To not buy me stuff when I don't need it. ERIN, ERIN, ERIN! Honey, you are turning into your father right before my very eyes! Stop the craziness this instant!! If I don't buy you stuff you don't need, then what would we do in our spare time, for god sakes!
I hope you know this is all in fun. I am a self-proclaimed smart ass. I also love my daughter beyond belief... more than anyone will ever know.