Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Who needs a housekeeper?


This morning, my husband returned to work for the first time since March--and since his back surgery. I've talked to him twice today, and so far, so good. He's an engineering technician for a government contractor who normally goes out "in the field" and sets up ordnance tests (I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you), but right now, they have him learning calibration. Whatever that is. (Shh, really....ignorance is bliss. I don't want to clutter my brain with that kind of knowledge. I'd rather clutter it with seemingly useless things, like millions of song lyrics or rare disease symptoms which no one whom I know will ever exhibit. But if they do, buddy, I will be able to diagnose them faster than a speeding physician's assistant!) Anyway. Ahem. So, he's back to work and feeling so-so physically but great mentally. It's hard on a man to sit at home for that many months in a row!




Okay, so I'm getting to my point. Honest.




This morning, our kids (13 & almost 10) stayed home all morning by themselves--their usual summer schedule--while we worked. The plan is that I then run them in to the base's school-aged care and teen center at lunchtime, which works out great for all of us. They have some time to sleep in a little, be lazy, not rush out the door first thing in the morning... and I save hundreds a month in childcare! We did it last summer without a hitch, so I'm confident this summer will go just as well.







Before I left, I told Chad there were whites in the washer, and asked if he could just throw them into the dryer at some point. He'd worked hard at home all day yesterday while Joe was there, so besides just transferring the clothes over, I didn't want him to do anything but relax all morning.







BUT... when I came home at lunchtime, I was greeted with, "Guess what, Mom?! Erin and I put the laundry in the dryer, folded it and put it all away, washed/dried/put the sheets on my bed, vacuumed the whole house, dusted the whole house, wiped down the kitchen counters, emptied the dishwasher, and made your lunch!"







I tell ya: Sometimes those kids drive me absolutely crazy (2% of the time maybe), but the other 98%? I swear I have two of the nicest, most thoughtful children on the face of the earth. I am so blessed...so grateful.







Also, thank you for you ongoing thoughts, prayers and well wishes these past few months while Joe has recovered. It's been tough, and slow-going, but I'm confident you guys are what helped him get to where he is today.


Well... you & God, that is.





2 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

I also think you have the nicest children in the world!!! You have done well my friend.
So glad that Joe is recovering well and you guys can get back to some sort of life again!!!
Take care, Suz

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh my word. I would have thought I died and went to heaven : ) How blissful is that? They are fantastic those children of yours. And I am SO glad that you didn't tell me the full gist of what your husband does because I do NOT want to be killed. It is making me curious though. I am so glad he is back working and feeling so much better! Now I am going to read the post above. See, I listened to you and read this first!